20060523

Pants Pie and Friendship

This week has been somewhat of a whirl wind. My friends Tray and William have arrived from New Zealand. They spent three nights sleeping in my spare single bed, and then William found a job, they found a house, and Tray has some temporary work next week. It’s so quick and they’re totally sorted. It’s great because I have another friend Amy arriving on Thursday morning and it’d be a bit of a mission with four of us in my teeny room with my two single beds.
My only problem is now I’m poor after going to the pub every night and drinking too much. My concentration is shot. I ordered 2 projectors for a woman the other day when she wanted black pens, completely mind frucked. But it is great to finally have some friends. Real friends. The kind of friends you’ve known for years and can say and do anything with. I’ve missed my real friends, but now I’m hanging out with them again, it’s like I never left them.
I think that’s a sign of real friendship. You can spend a year apart and then just fall back in place easy as pie. I don’t know how easy pie is. I find Shepherds Pie is relatively easy to make. Don’t know about pastry ones. They might be a bit tricky. I guess we should go with the pies in packets, they’re easy. So it’s easy as precooked pie. From a pie warmer in a dairy.
Thing’s I’ve learned and my New Zealand friends have highlighted:
You need original documents, bank statements and the like.
Although we all speak English the variations are huge, no one knows what you’re talking about half the time.
You don’t need to bring shampoo, conditioner and body wash. It’s easy to buy and its really bloody heavy when you’re packing your weight restricted bag.
Don’t convert the price of things, it will drive you insane and turn you into a mean old man (with wrinkles) until you’re earning pounds, you have no idea what anything is worth.
Half the people you ask for directions will be foreigners who don’t speak much English.
Small map books are extremely helpful.
No one will understand why you left New Zealand.
Service Stations sell not only beer and wine but also spirits.
When people say ‘pants’ they don’t mean trousers, they only ever mean underpants. Gives a whole new meaning to thousands of previously innocent sentences “my pants are dirty.”
The price of a coffee varies inexplicably and it’s not indicative of quality.
Happy Travels come visit me in England, come and be misunderstood, lost and astounded by the price of an extra shot of caffeine. It’s fun.
Funniest “pant’s” comment wins an English thing. I love the pant’s comments, they make me laugh and laugh and laugh, then when I think I’m done laughing, I laugh some more. Laughter really is the best medicine.
Yeah Jack, the quick sand steals my shoes too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home