20060731

My room, my beautiful room...

Little Bedroom of Horrors…

The past week has been a mess. I’ve moved out of one house and not quite into another.

I spent the first part of the week thinking to myself ‘I should really pack up my room’ and then going to the pub instead. Well, to be fair, going to the pub wasn’t entirely my fault. I had a fellow New Zealander staying at my house, and I had to keep him occupied somehow.

So with moving day looming I found myself despairing over my tendency to hoard, my annoying habit of attaching sentimental value on the most trivial items. Despairing over my mindset that I might need that one day, so I shouldn’t throw it out just yet.

You see generally my room looks as though some kind of tornado has ripped through it. Every surface cluttered with, well, cluttered with junk. That’s me being brutally honest with my self. The floor by the way is also considered a surface.

I don’t kike the minimalist look. I don’t like clear spaces. I like interesting things to look at. I like busy patterns, and best of all I like junk. Lots of junk, bits and bobs, knicks and knacks, little things that catch my eye littering every surface.

But alas, things alone do not a tornado swept room make. No, the only way to create a true tornado effect is to never put anything away. I fail to see the necessity of it. I know where everything is if I trip up on it daily. Traversing my room is almost like rock climbing with seemingly sporadic footholds dotted about the place.

You can imagine my reluctance to sort the hideous mess in which I am accustomed to living. The amazing power of procrastination stronger is than my will. So I put it off and put it off. I’ll do it tomorrow, becomes I’ll do it tomorrow, really. When tomorrow is moving day, you can’t really leave it any longer. My saving grace is that boarding school has taught me to pack fast.

I am the Donovan Bailey of packing and this week I proved it. Now I’m just waiting with a heightened sense of anticipation, waiting in glee to move into my new house and start spreading stuff all over my new shiny empty room.

Waiting to reunite myself with the tornado.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home